Assignment 1: Research Proposal and Contextual Background
Due October 22 (at the beginning of class)
Please print in 12-point font. Double-spaced. Single sided.
Please number your pages. Staple together.
Oral History: “A type of recollection in which a researcher interviews a person about the events, beliefs, or feelings in the past that were directly experienced.”
1. Statement of your purpose: (2 marks deleted if not included)
- Identify what you would like to more fully understand in your oral history (2 sentences maximum)
- Draw from the following topics:
- a) The experience of immigration and settlement of an older woman
- b) The experience of a single mother raising 2 or more children
- c) The experience of a modern daughter raised in a family with very traditional attitudes and expectations of girls and women
2. Review of related literature (8/25)
- What do other researchers/scholars have to say about the topic?
- In 3-5 sentences, briefly discuss 6-8 scholarly articles or texts related to the topic area.
- Describe the main theme and/or the author’s point of view
3. Discussion of Contextual Background: (12.5 /25) (4-5 pages)
- What are the key themes, issues and debates related to your topic?
- Combine the themes, issues and debates into an integrated discussion to be written in essay format.
- The ‘essay’ should set the context and background to understanding your oral history interview participant’s experience.
4. Interview guide: (4.5/25)
- Draft 8 -10 open-ended questions you will ask your research participant
- (Guidelines for questions to be distributed)
– You don’t have to do this part for the proposal. This one has to do it with the final paper.
5. Annotated Bibliography: (3 marks deleted if not included)
- All the texts and resources used in preparing your assignment should be listed with appropriate format.
- Please note that each text discussed in the Literature Review should be 3-4 sentences.
- 8 academic sources.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]