HS 1113 Principles of Pharmacology
The following list of medications is for an 80 year old female who lives alone and is responsible for her medications. Her medical history includes type II diabetes, congestive heart failure, hypothyroidism, hypercholesterolemia, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, constipation, peptic ulcer disease, depression and a current respiratory tract infection.
Your assignment is to give the following on each medication:
- Trade and generic names
- Usual dosage
- Mechanism of action / Purpose for patient
- Common side effects
- At least 5 teaching points for each medication
Lasix 40 mg twice daily
Potassium Chloride 10 mequiv twice daily
Lanoxin 0.125mg daily
Synthroid 50 mcg daily
Lisinopril 5 mg daily
Lopressor 50 mg daily
Metformin 500 mg with meals
Coumadin 5 mg daily
Prednisone 10 mg twice a day
Colace 100 mg daily
Zantac 150 mg at bedtime
Levaquin 500mg every day for 7 days
Zoloft 25 mg at bedtime
Zocor 10 mg at bedtime
Regular Insulin (dose based on blood sugar)
Lortab 7.5 every 6 hours
Phenergan 25 mg
Ibuprofen 400 mg every 8 hours
Metamucil 1-2 tsp in 8 ounces of water
Also answer the questions on page 2
- What is the therapeutic range for digoxin? What are signs of toxicity?
- Why is the patient taking potassium?
- The patient wants to know why her physician is going to taper her off the prednisone slowly. How will you explain this?
- The patient is going to have a radiology study with IV contrast dye, which medication should be withheld for 48 hours prior and why?
- Since the patient is on Coumadin, PT and INR results are monitored. Explain what these test monitor. What should the INR be for a patient on Coumadin therapy?
Cite all sources used
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]