1. What are some things that you do to present yourself a certain way to people? In our text, it talks a lot about how the clothes we wear, and other things we do send messages to others. You might choose certain clothes to show your economic status (or hide it). Or maybe your dress might reflect beliefs about modesty. Have you always communicated the same messages about yourself or have your changed those messages over time? Or maybe it is not that they change overtime for you, but maybe it is that you change the message you communicate if you are in different places (school/bar). Give some examples of how/when you have communicated messages by the way you present yourself.
2. What are some of the nonverbal codes (rules) of your native language?
3. What are some potential obstacles to accurately reading the nonverbal messages of other people?
4. In your culture, how late can you be for the following (and still be polite): (a) a class, (b) work, (c) a job interview, (d) a dinner party, (e) a date with a friend?
Reading: “Sympathy and Empathy
1. Describe a time when someone did not treat you the way you would have liked them to treat you. How could this(these) person(s) have treated you better?
2. How do the six steps for achieving empathy help someone become less ethnocentric?
3. Give an example from current events (last 6 months) where a group of people was thinking more about themselves and not about the other and how they felt and discuss how this led to a conflict. (use news media and give the resource where you found the story).
Reading: “Transition Shock – Putting Culture Shock into Perspective
4. How does defensiveness at the loss of a frame of reference trigger culture shock? What does the author say happens when people encounter something different?
5. Describe an experience where you have encountered culture shock and/or describe what you think someone should do to overcome culture/transition shock.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]